Monday, January 11, 2010

WOW!

I made it to Sumbawanga. After about 23 hours in a bus/car we are finally here! The drive was not too bad, really. We went through Mkumi National Park on the way. Don't worry, I saw a ton of elephants, giraffes, zebras, monkeys, antelopes ... etc. It was so great! Our bus driver was a little crazy. Reminded me a lot of India.

The Tanzanian countryside was so interesting to watch. We passed many houses made of sticks and mud. People here really live with the bare essentials. They have a roof over their head, 4 walls, and food (sometimes). I couldn't help but think about the huge different between their lives and the lives of many living in the US. The song "New York" came on and I thought back to the completely opposite images one would see in New York. It makes me sad to think that some people in this world don't even have clean water or health care, while others are living in luxury and have so much money they don't know what to do with all of it. Being here really makes me realize how much I have and how little I really need to be happy. I hope I can pass this onto my kids someday.

Yesterday I was able to go to Laela (the place where I'll be teaching) for the first time. HOLY COW. Here is part of my journal entry from that day:

"When we finally arrived at Laela I had so many emotions running through me. I was very intimidated, first off, because I am the first white person EVER to live in their village. The village is tiny. It is in the middle of no-where, and has on main road that is about equal to 5 blocks long. I got so many stares from people as we drove into down. Secondly, I felt extremely nervous. My entire trip so far has been spent with James and Dan (James's roommate). James knows/is friends with everyone, so I was nervous to finally arrive at Laela because I had to come to grips with the fact that I won't be with James the whole time. It was the first time I actually realized I'd be alone. The people I met today are the people I'm going to be living with for the next 6 months. It was both nerve-wracking and exciting. As hard as it will be to not have James around, I am very glad that I will be in a different location. I will be able to create friendships on my own. I will be forced to break out of my comfort zone and meet new people. It is very exciting."

So there you have it - my immediate thoughts about Laela! After we left Laela we made out way to Sumbawanga. It took a little over an hour drive to get there (not bad). The drive was beautiful. Mountains everywhere, green landscape ... it was great. On that car ride James, Dan and I had a great discussion about how I was feeling about the next six months. Mom - James will take great care of me, don't worry. :) He told me to make sure to call him if I need anything or if I have any problems. It's so nice to have such a great friend here!

I'll be here in Sumbawanga for the next 2 weeks. I will be visiting/meeting people. and taking Swahili lessons (hopefully). I will start teaching in 2 weeks. I will be teaching Form 1 English (about 14 year olds). Should be great!!

Ok that is all for now! Hope everything is going well back home!! Much love.

Oh, one more thing. I got a cell phone here in Tanzania. My number is (+)0752536938! Feel free to text me if you want! (I think it works .. but you might want to check to see how much it costs, I'm sure it's more expensive than a normal text). Otherwise, apparently it's pretty cheap to call through skype as well. I don't know how that works either, but it'd be worth a shot!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    WOW is right! What a trip and what emotions you have already experienced! You haven't even been in Tanzania a week.....

    I am glad you made it safely and YES I am glad that James is nearby and has a cell phone (oh, I sound so American - but, it's a comfort for a Mom!) Tell James he is the best!

    I am looking forward to hearing about your language classes, the nuns, the "convent" and your room, your students, your lessons and the people you meet....."What did you say??" "What's going on?" OK - I'll stop :) ha ha......and you thought you were going to escape my questions halfway around the world.

    I am going to figure out the Skype thing (I think you can text on Skype really cheap somehow).

    I look forward to your next post and maybe talking to you pretty soon.

    I love you soooo much!

    Tumsifu yesu kristu,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    It is so amazing to read your stories. Thank you again for sharing them with us. I can't imagine taking another bus ride like the India bus ride. Your description of the town you'll be living in was very interesting. It will be fun to see pictures. Have they had other non-native people teaching English there? It is nice to know that James is there for you if you need him. Am I correct that his town is about an hour away? Take care. Love Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sarah,

    And, "WOW" from me, too. It is amazing all you have experienced in such a short time. How wonderful that you have had James & Dan with during this time. I'm sure it helps to talk through all your emotions.

    The kids are so lucky that God sent you to them. You'll be such a wonderful teacher & it won't be long before you'll feel right at home there.

    You are doing such a great job on your blog! I am having so much fun reading about your experiences in Tanzania. I loved the description in your last blog about sitting for hours & just talking - how peaceful that was. I remember that same feeling on the porch at Kate's in India.

    Thanks for all your news. Can't wait for your next note.

    With much love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete