Thursday, January 14, 2010

Swahili

The past few days I have been taking Swahili lessons with this really nice older man. He is a retired teacher, and is very good at English. Each lesson is about one hour.

So, before I left for Tanzania I was very excited to start learning another language. I would love to become fluent in another language. The past few days, however, I came to the realization that it probably won't happen. I forgot how difficult it is to learn a new language. I (ignorantly) thought that I would be able to move here and just pick up the language easily and quickly. Well, that is not the case. Holy cow, there is so much to remember!! Sometimes I am finding myself getting frustrated easily when I am practicing my Swahili with Fr. Ndasi because I forget things so quickly. Other times, I am extremely motivated to study and learn as much as I can.

I feel like I am making a lot of progress, though. I can understand a LOT more now than I could one week ago. I can pick out words I know when I am listening to conversations, and I can kind of figure out what they are talking about. I can form sentences (for the most part). I'm still learning vocabulary, though. That is the hardest thing for me ... remembering all the new vocabulary. With repetition, though, I am starting to get it. I usually sit down and study a little in the morning before church (for about 30 minutes) and then a little throughout the day/at night (another 30 minutes). I am definitely NOT comfortable having full conversations yet, though. It would take me about 5 minutes to say one sentence. I think if I keep practicing with James and Fr. Ndasi I will slowly get there.

Just thought I'd give you a little update on that topic! :)

7 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with your hard work at learning Swahili, Sarah. It sounds like you are learning a ton! I don't know how you can do it - I have trouble remembering words in English! I guess it is just that young mind of yours :) I'm sure once you start working with the kids, you will get more exposure to the language. By the time you come home, you'll be fluent.

    I hope you are enjoying the nice warm weather there. We are having a heat wave - it may get up above freezing this week! Oh, what I would give to put on sandles & a pair of shorts....

    Keep up the good work with your language practice.

    Take care & God bless.

    Love you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah!!! It's Whitney here. Danny and I are visiting your grandparents in fl and wish you were here. I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear about your ongoing adventures. Also, can't wait to see you in June. Let us know your schedule between June 3-23 and we will make something happen. Be careful and keep the blog going. We are big fans! :)

    cheers,
    Danny, whitney, gma, & gpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    It sounds like you are doing fine with the language lessons. It takes a while to pick up a language. Be patient and don't get discouraged :)

    Looking forward to hearing about your trip to meet Fr. Ndasi's parents and seeing the beautiful lake.

    Take care SarahBeara!
    Love and blessngs,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    I don't think you should be disappointed at all with your Swahili progression. I'm impressed that you can already understand anything. Being immersed with the language will be the best way to learn and before you know it you'll have it down.

    I can't tell you enough how much I enjoy reading your blogs. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. You have a special writing talent. It was fun to see a picture of you and James. I hope someday I'll be able to meet him.

    Love Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah--

    This week at Magis, we talked about living our faith by stepping outside our comfort zone. I immediately thought of you. I really admire how you completely immersed yourself in another culture taking not only a step, but giant leap out of your comfort zone to help other people. I can't wait to hear more of how God is working through you in Tanzania!

    Love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah!!

    I am truly impressed with not only your learning a new language, but just that thought of you traveling there and taking it all in. You are truly an inspiration! Bridget took one year of Yoruba, which I believe is spoken in West Africa. She loved it and I am sure you will continue to love it. We are really proud of you. God's blessings to you and keep posting. We love hearing your updates and you write with so much passion! Love, Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah (yo yo),
    Your experiences are absolutely inspirational and we love feeling a part of your journey. Thank you so much for taking the time to write! We are so proud of you and can't wait to hear more.
    We love you, Bret, Kim & Cole

    ReplyDelete