Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Time to go

Hey everyone!

So, I am leaving Sumbawanga tomorrow. It's official. Time to leave and start my work in Laela. I am both excited and very nervous at the same time. Fr. Ndasi will stay with me for a week or two, then I will be on my own. I was talking to James about it, and we both came the the realization "WOAH- I won't be in Sumbawanga anymore" at the same time. It will be very nice to settle down, to start making connections, and to get a feeling of "home" again.

Hopefully I'll still be able to come back and stay in Sumbawanga on the weekends. I'm sure I won't come every weekend, but enough to still stay connected with the people here (the monks at CHristu Mfalme - where James and Dan live). They are so welcoming and nice.

In other news, James, Dan and I were talking about good ol' American sports .. more specifically football .. more specifically the Vikings. James and Dan decided (and I'll probably tag along too if I'm free), that we are going to find someplace to watch the Superbowl if the Vikings make it. Now, at home, this would be no problem. But here, in rural Tanzania, it could mean up to a 20 hour bus ride! Most likely we will end up in Mbeya, which is about an 8 hour bus ride (if the road conditions/whether is OK). Fish-side of the family: you should be very proud. Making an 8+ hour trip to watch a football game!?! Haha. Please be sure to pass this along to Grandpa Fish (Jame or Dad or whoever talks to him first). Should be quite an adventure if everything works out!

Well thats all for now. I have no idea how often I'll be able to update this thing at Laela. Apparently there is Internet, but who knows it if will work. So it might be a week or two till you hear from me. (This should NOT discourage you from commenting/sending me emails!!) :)

Tutaonana! (Goodbye)

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    How exciting that you will finally get to begin your teaching in Tanzania. Even though I'm sure it is a little scary, I am confident the nuns and everyone will be wonderful and make you feel welcomed and "at home". You have such a kind disposition and cheerful personality, they can't help but love you! (spoken like the proud mama that I am :)

    I hope you are able to use a computer there to update everyone on the details of your experience.

    Even though there aren't that many comments here (come on everyone :), I know that people are really enjoying reading about your experience.

    Take care - I love you lots!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Little Sarah, hope things r going well with u. What a great experience. It's nice that you are describing things very well so that we can imagine those experiences through your words. Did u get your own elephant yet? Let me know the status. Hope to hear again from u soon!

    With prayer
    Deepu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,

    I agree with your proud mama that the people in Laela can't help but like you! I can see why you are nervous, but I know that you will do well & I'm sure you will feel at home before you know it.

    I hope that you will be able to update your blog. It is so much fun to hear about your experiences! I'm especially anxious to hear about your class.

    I'm interested in Deepu's comment about the elephant. You know that if you get an elephant, it will be hard to get through security on the way home :) Also, if you get an elephant, you will make us look bad for not getting a dog for Michelle & Brian!

    We all miss you, but know you are you are doing such good things in Africa.

    Much love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete