Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tumsifu Yesu Kristu

I just finished reading a book called "White Man Walking" by Ward Brehm. It is a fantastic story about one Minnesotans experiece in Africa. In one part of the book her recalls vivid pictures/memories from Africa: "The slowness of pace, and the absence of distractions, which allow Gods presence to be felt in new and powerful ways." That is probably the #1 reason I felt drawn back to Africa. In America it is so easy to get wrapped up in the crazy-ness of everyday life. You can go through an entire day without having a meaningful conversation with someone or without connecting to a stanger.

The past two days I have been able to have numerous meaningful converstions with people and I have connected with many strangers. Over 85% of my day yesterday was spent sitting outside on the porch with James, Fr. Ndisi, Br. Msomi and Br. Salvatori just talking. We talked about simple things, such as the whether patterns in Sumbawanga (it's the rainy season right now). We also had deep, meaningful converstaions, for example about the importance of trusting in God. We talked about the cultural differences between Africa and America, and had a 2 hour long converstaion after lunch about the education system here in Tanzania.

James, Fr. Ndisi and I walked about 20 minutes away to meet another preist yesterday as well. We sat outside, drank colas from a glass bottle, and talked. It was wonderful. I love being able to connect with the people here. I wish it was more like this in America. It's so easy to fall into the habbit of turning on the tv or the video game. I love not having those distractions. It makes life simpler.

If the next 6 months consisted of teaching during the day and sitting around talking with people in the evenings, I would be 100% satisified. I am constantly overwhelmed with the humbleness of the Tanzanian Monks. They are so welcoming and kind.

My swahili is coming along ok! I think I'll be able to pick it up. I've been studying quite a bit so far. But most of what I'm learning is coming from the monks and James. According to James, I already know the most important phrase in Swahili. It's a greeting: Tumsifu yesu kristu(May Jesus Christ be with you). The response is Millele Amina (forever and ever). James says that if I remember that phrase, I will be fine anywhere! :)

Tomorrow we leave for Sumbawanga, should be quite a journey. 2 full days of riding in bus, then a car. Once I get there Fr. Ndisi (aka Fr. Revocatus) has many plans for me to travel, learn swahili, and meet the bishop. I think James will be able to join me for most of it (even though he starts teaching again on Monday).

Well, time is up! Please keep up the comments and emails! I love reading them! Tu sifu Jesu Christu!!

3 comments:

  1. Millele Amina!

    WOW! What a wonderful first few days you have had!
    It's great to read the posting on your blog. This is going to be an amazing 6 months for you.

    Sitting on a porch and talking for several hours about weather, God, education and life....what an experience!

    The trip to Sumbawanga should be quite an adventure and I look forward to hearing about it.

    I love you!

    Tu sifu Jesu Christu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,

    So glad to hear you made it there safely. It sounds like you're going to have such an amazing experience! I'm looking forward to hearing all about it (and eventually seeing lots of pictures)! Love you!

    Michelle =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    It was so refreshing to read your latest blog. What an amazing place it must be. You are a good writer. I can just visualize you sitting on the porch talking and then walking with the priest. It makes me want to be there too. Thank you for sharing your experiences - I look forward to hearing more. Love Diane

    ReplyDelete