Monday, March 15, 2010

What I Would Have Missed - Part 2

Hello all!

So, my Dad gave me the idea to do a "Part 2" of the "What I would have missed" blog now that I've been here for 2 and a half months! So, here are a few additions:

-I would have missed out on the opportunity to become comfortable being by myself for long periods of time throughout the day. Everyone at home knows me as the type of person who always likes to be with people and doing something. I would much rather hang out with friends that sit around by myself. While that is still very much true, I can definitely say that I've grown to actually enjoy my alone time. You might every be able to go out on a limb and say that I look forward to the time each day when I can be by myself and read, reflect and journal. I know when I get home that my social ways will probably stay the same, but I can also say that i think I will make more of an effort to take quite time each day to reflect. I did not anticipate this, but I am very happy about it!
-Another thing I have learned/grown to appreciate that I did not expect is my enjoyment of reading. At home I find it very difficult to get through books quickly. I just never made it a priority and I was also too busy. But here in Africa I have turned into quit a reader. I'm even branching out from my typical "Nicholas Sparks" realm and reading different types of books. I've read 7 books in the 2 and a half months I've been here (wow - NERD ALERT - haha, kidding). My Dad and sister have always been the readers, not me. While I'm still not positive that when I get home it will be any easier to read more often, I know that I am really enjoying being able to read for enjoyment here.
-One last thing I've learned about myself: I REALLY MISS AMERICAN FOOD. Haha, I should have assumed that would happen. Being here has really made me realize that I just love food at home. It's not that the food here is bad ... I just miss the variety we have in the U.S. I find myself craving different types of food all the time. I've already planned my first few meals when I get home. Pot-stickers, pasta, boneless wings, and burgers are all on the list of things to devour in the first week. :)

Ok I think that's all for now!

I've officially moved back to Sumbawanga - got here this afternoon. I left Laela at 7:30 this morning on a bus, which took 5 hours because it started to smoke half way here. Haha, typical. But, I made it safely and it's very nice to be back. I don't know when I'll start teaching yet, but I know that I'll be going to my school tomorrow! Hope all is well at home!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    Great blog entry! Wow, you are growing in so many ways and having such wonderful experiences. I love reading about your thoughts, reactions and how life in Tanzania has changed you.

    It's amazing how travel does that to you. You see the world and life with such different eyes...no better education, in my opinion. And, it's so interesting to experience the different food (even making you appreciate ours), different customs, different life styles and see the awesome beauty of God's unbelievable creation - WOW! And as we get to know the people realizing in a way, inside, we are all the same.

    I guess that's why Dad and I love to travel so much and I am glad we have passed this love to you (and Katie!).

    I love you!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean that next Christmas I can get you a non-Nicholas Sparks book?? Or should the tradition continue for old times' sake? :)

    Seriously, though, I think you captured what is so great about travel, and particularly about immersing yourself in a different culture for a while - you grow in ways you never could have predicted, and learn things about yourself you might never have discovered if you had just stayed home. I'm so proud of you and happy for you, sis! And I'm sure this won't be the end of the list - looking forward to "What I Would Have Missed, Part 3"!

    Lots of love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more comment - I would love to see a list of a few of the books you've read that you have really liked! Always looking for recommendations!

    ReplyDelete