Thursday, March 11, 2010

Update

Sorry for not updating in a while! Here's a quick recap of what I've been up to the last week or so!

-Christian (one of the German volunteers) got married last weekend to an African girl. A few nights ago he returned to Sumbawanga and we had a little celebration for him at Mariana's (the oprhange run by a German woman). It was really fun to be a part of that. All the kids (and some neighbors) sang traditional African songs, and danced, and James played the drums. It was a really neat experience.

-I had dinner with some of James's students at the girls hostel the other night. It was really fun. The students are so nice. I've gotten to know a lot of them pretty well. It's really neat being able to have relationships with them, and being a mentor for them. It will be hard to say goodbye in 4 months.

-James left for South Africa yesterday. He'll be gone for a month. I was supposed to take the bus to Laela yesterday, but it never came. I waited from 1:30 - 6:30, and no bus. Typical Africa. Haha, so I'm still here in Sumabwanga, and I will be getting a ride back to Laela tonight with the headmaster of my school (well, that's the plan at least). I'll stay in Laela this weekend, pack up my things, say goodbye, and return to Sumabwanga on Monday. I'll move into the Libori center and hopefully start teaching next week at the school across the street! I am excited to get back to teaching.

-My next month should be pretty busy! My parents are coming to visit the week before and the week after Easter (YAY)! So that will be wonderful. Then, after I drop them off at the airport in Dar I'll be meeting up with James, and we will pick up our friend Allison who is coming to visit on April 12th (YAY again)!. I'll have a lot of fun traveling experiences the next month, and I'm really excited to have some visitors!

Well that's all for now! Hope all is well at home!

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. It was so nice to hear from you. We've been wondering how you are doing. The wedding celebration sounds like a fun and interesting experience especially the dancing and singing. Glad to hear you're staying in Sumbawanga. Your mom is excited about her upcoming trip - we'll all be anxious to hear her report when she returns. Dan and Whitney are looking forward to seeing you in June. Take care. Love you, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, Sarah! It sounds like you must be feeling better - that is a blessing. You have done such a great job at immersing yourself in the African culture. By the time you get home, you will be able to give us a demonstration of the songs & dances you have learned. Since your mom is coming to visit, she could join in, too. That would be lots of fun :)
    It is so exciting that you will be able to share your special place with your mom & dad. I know that they are so excited to come and visit. You will all have such a good time. How fun that your friend Allison is coming, too!
    Glad to hear that you are staying in Sumbawanga. I know it will be hard to say goodbye to everyone in Laela, but we won't worry about you quite as much, since you are closer to medical care!
    Not much news here. It's a bit dreary, but is supposed to be sunny & in the 50's next week. Can't wait!
    Much love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah
    Whenever I read your blog entries there are always 2 ways I find myself thinking about.
    This first is I imagine all the scenes you describe. I can just imagine what that wedding might have been like or what the hikes looked like. A lot of us back here are sort of living this trip through your eyes and words. And that's been really fun.
    The second way I look at it has not been what you see but what you say about what you see. It so obvious that you are really embracing this culture and the people and that it is impacting your values and your lifestyle. And so I think about how I would feel if I saw and experienced what you are seeing and experiencing. That part has been great too. All of us are changing a little because of your great blog. Thank you for that as well.

    ReplyDelete