Friday, February 5, 2010

Karibu Sana, Malaria

Sorry I've been MIA for the last week. In case you were wondering why, here it is: I have Malaria.

First off, let me start by saying: DON'T WORRY EVERYONE, I'M FINE.

I'm currently in Sumbawanga with James and Dan and I am almost done with the medicine the doctor gave me! (I'm almost cured!!). It really hasn't been that bad. Yes, I've been feeling sick all week .. but I haven't thrown up since I started the medicine and I've pretty much just been sitting around watching movies with James and Dan everyday ... so it's not all that bad! Haha.

I don't know when I'll start teaching again. All the monks want to make sure I am feeling 100% better before I go back, so who knows ... I could be here well into next week! It's nice they're taking such good care of me. And it's nice that I don't have to worry about teaching for right now ... the headmaster of my school also told me to make sure I stay here and get better. :)

I don't really have time for a longer post ... but I just thought I'd give you an FYI on my whereabouts and make sure you all know NOT TO WORRY!

Sarah

Oh - ps - the story behind the title "Karibu Sana, Malaria." Ok, so the word Karibu means welcome (sana - very much). I honestly here the world Karibu at least 50 times a day. It could be welcoming me to dinner, welcoming me into someones home, welcoming me to the internet cafe...etc. Well, James and I were talking with one of the monks the other night about Malaria, and after a while the monk was like "Well, Sarah, welcome to Africa. Karibu Africa. Karibu Malaria." It was pretty hilarious. So ... KARIBU SANA MALARIA to me! Hahaha :)

9 comments:

  1. Hi everyone,
    This is Mom here. I just wanted to let you know I have talked to Sarah and she is being well taken care of and on the mend.

    James wrote me the nicest email saying that Sarah is "in good hands (15 overprotective Benedictine monks, Dan and I)" and she is "spending most of her days taking walks with me, drinking tea (the monks force her to) and watching movies".

    It is a comfort to know that they are taking good care of her.

    Let's pray for her speedy recovery,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Sarah,

    I'm so sorry to hear that you have malaria. I am praying for your speedy recovery. I must say that it does sound like you are in good hands & getting lots of TLC (almost like your mom is there). Hey, who can say that they have 15 monks & two sweet twenty-something boys taking care of them?

    OK, now listen to your Auntie Donna (along with the headmaster) and make sure you take plenty of time to heal before heading back to school...

    Take care of yourself & get well, soon.

    Love you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're thinking of you and praying for you out here in California Sarah! Get well soon. Love you.

    Your cousin,

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah,
    We were so sad to hear that you got malaria, but are so glad to hear that you are in good hands and on your road to recovery. It can be so scary to be sick in a foreign country, but it sounds like you've been well taken care of. Listen to your Aunt Donna and get well before you try to get going again. We love reading your posts, and it's prepping Whitney and I for our own trip out there in June!
    Take care and love to you from all of us (I'm here with Whitney, Kimmy, Bret and Cole.
    Love,
    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,

    I am so sorry to hear that you've been sick with malaria! It's great that you are beginning to feel better though! I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I agree with the rest of the family-keep getting plenty of rest! Love you!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah,
    You have been in my thoughts and prayers so much the past few days. I keep checking your blog to see if there is an update. I hope that you are continuing to recovery and are feeling back to your old self. Not much new from California. We are suppose to have more rain tomorrow. Do you have much rain there? Take care of yourself. Lots of Love,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments everyone!!!

    I am feeling MUCH better. I am still in Sumbawanga and will be for a few more days. The monks want to make sure I am fully recovered before I go back and start teaching again. I'll post another blog soon hopefully. I just wanted to say thanks for the comments! :) Hello to everyone in California and hello to everyone in FREEZING MN! :)

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah you are sounding like a Tanzanian. It is not FREEZING in Minnesota - at least most Minnesotans would not say that. Why the high has been a balmy 20-something most days. What it is outside is SNOWY. Lots and lots of snow. Nowhere to shovel it all. But it could be worse. We could be living in DC or Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Sarah!

    So good to hear that you are doing well and enjoying yourself. We are so looking forward to seeing you in just a few short months!! If we plan it right, maybe we can sneak you a potsticker or two. :)

    Keep us posted on your amazing adventures!

    Lots of love,
    Whitney and Danny

    ReplyDelete