Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Back in Sumba

Last Saturday I was reminded yet again why I am here in Tanzania. The past few weeks, since my parents and Allison have been here, I have been feeling more and more ready to go home and be with family and friends again. Having my parents and Allison here made me realize how much I miss home. Part of me wanted to jump on a plane and be back with everyone again. On Saturday, however, God once again reminded me that I am exactly where I am supposed to be, and it’s not my time to leave yet.

On our way from my place to his place, James and I stopped outside the girl’s hostel to say hello to some of the students. Beth, Adrophina, Maggie, and Kaboga were all there. We sat outside on the grass in the sunshine for over an hour, just enjoying each other’s company and enjoying life. While we were sitting there, and I was looking at James and Adrophina, I got that feeling again that “life is so good here.” Then I started to think about leaving, and saying goodbye to the students. I am really going to miss some of the students, and I am going to miss being a part of their lives.

Saturday, when Maggie saw me, she came running around the fence and hugged me, not letting go for a long time. She was just longing for that love and attention you feel from someone you can look up to. I was happy to give it to her. So many of the students here (especially the girls) have a small support system, if any at all. Many girls are lacking the positive, strong, confident female role model that they can confide in a really open up to and trust. I am going to miss trying to be that friend for them.
I got that sad feeling again when I was looking at Adrophina. She is so beautiful and strong, and so intelligent. When she comes up to me and hugs me for a long time, I wonder if she gets the attention and encouragement and praise she deserves. I try to tell her and all the girls “umependeza” as often as I can (which basically means “you look beautiful”). They look at me (and Allison when she was here), and play with my hair, and say it to me all the time. I hope they realize that they are beautiful, strong women as well. It will be really sad and hard to leave some of these students.

In other news, it’s good to be back here in Sumbawanga. After pretty much being on the go for the last 5 weeks, it’s nice to feel settled again. Tomorrow I’ll start teaching again. They moved me from Form I to Form II (I don’t know why). I will only be teaching a few periods a week because the students are preparing for national exams. I only have about 2-3 weeks left before the end of the term, so I am sure it’s going to go by fast.
Hope things are going well at home!

Here's a picture of me and Adrophina taken a few weeks ago!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful Sarah!!!

    Even though you have not been able to do much teaching, it looks like God maybe had a little different purpose for your trip to Tanzania.

    I love you tons!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah,

    As I read your blog & look at this picture & see umependeza - both inside & out. What an impact life in Tanzania has had & will have on your life. You have grown in so many ways. I agree with your mom that God had a purpose for your trip to Tanzania... Even though you haven't done much teaching, you are having an impact on the Tanzanian people & they are having an impact on you. God works wonders!

    You will continue to make a difference in the short time you have remaining. Bless you!

    Lots of love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,

    When I pictured you in Tanzania before you went, I always imagined you surrounded by little kids - just like it was the first time you went to Africa. When I realized that you would be teaching older students, it made me wonder what the experience was going to be like for you, since you obviously loved all those kids the first time around. After reading this post, though, it is so clear that you are in the right place, and with the right students. Your relationship with these young women has no doubt changed both their lives and yours. I am so proud to have such a beautiful, strong sister, and to think that she is empowering other women to recognize their own beauty and strength. I hope you realize that you are inspiration not just to the girls you've met in Tanzania, but to all of us back home who are reading your posts are well.

    I love you!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    This entry sorta stopped me in my tracks and took my breath away. Blog posts simply get no better than this. It strikes me that you don't have a job right now, you have a vocation. Something we all aspire to. Life really is good there in Sumbawanga.
    All my prayers today day will be prayers of praise and thanksgiving. Because of you. Thank you for that.

    Love,
    Dad

    PS - I love that new picture of you on the beach in the right hand column.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,
    John and returned from Idaho this afternoon after a week and a half so I just read your most recent blog. I loved it! You are so talented at expressing your thoughts and feelings. It's amazing the wonderful impact you are having on all of those students. We (your family) all know how special you are. All of your life you have been so caring, kind and interested in others. Now people on the other side of the world get to benefit from these gifts. Take care. Love Diane

    ReplyDelete